30 January 2007

My 70 Gigabyte Mahler job

Today I completed my Gustav Mahler 11 Symphonies ripping job, requiring almost 70 GB free space from my ripping workstation. Not mentioning of two 3GHz CPU-s, running hot at 99% performance level.


Matherial

I have bunch of DVD-s in my posession. All Gustav Mahler's symphonies fom 1 to 10, plus Das Lied von der Erde. All DVD-s had:
  • Video: MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 4:3;
  • Audio: DTS audio + PCM stereo audio 48KHz 16bit
Original recording was done in stereo and DTS was artificially generated later.

What I did

I copied the contents of DVD-s to my workstation's HDD, using DVD Decrypter. Decrypting happened at the speed 7x - 10x, depending other simultaneous tasks. Then I converted original MPEG 2 video to much more efficient format MPEG 4 in AutoGK. It took about 1:1, eg 20 frames per second.

Result

I have now Gustav Mahlers 11 symphonies in MPEG 4 compression with hi quality PCM stereo sound.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...



Also visit my blоg :: http://www.paydayloansonlinecat.Co.Uk/